Thursday, December 11, 2008

Premium That Strangled

As Selangor citizens enjoy the off day due to celebration of Sultan's Birthday today, I took this opportunity to send my car for 30k service.

Although my wife is still not well, I got no choice because my Vios gonna have couple of long journeys in Dec..
After bought her porridge & prepare for her medicine, I left home as early as possible so that I will be back before she knew it..

While waiting in the customer lounge, I suddenly feel like writing but I don't know what..
hahaha..

OK, let's talk about the premium that normally came along with the brand..

To be honest, I was surprised when I attended one pricing meeting..that was a long time ago when I first joined Toyota.
During that meeting, I was told that besides cost & profit to derive at the selling price, premium also a part of it.
Meaning to say, for a branded item, equation should read as PRICE = COST + PROFIT + PREMIUM.
However, most of the time, premium will be put under profit.

Well, this is something common and generally accepted by people.

Just give Nike or Adidas as example. Why we are willing to pay 100% more for a Nike shoe compare with other brands?
Shoe is just a shoe by principle. You wear it by your foot, not hanging it around your neck!!

Or perhaps Coffee Bean or Starbucks Coffee which I heard can cost you RM10 per cup easily (correct me if I'm wrong coz I never been there..)..What's the difference with mamak stall coffee??How difference is the coffee taste?

That what we call PREMIUM. Due to the fact that we know the quality, style, reputation and everything on earth that came with tagline... price doesn't really matter, who care!! (but I do)

Well, my next question is..whether the premium we pay is really justified with the item we paid??

It is a never ending dispute anyway..

It's just came across my mind while sitting here waiting for my car. As you can see at my back, people enjoying their drinks & snacks while reading magazine, watching Astro and surfing the internet. It's not free, of course. All amenities already included in the bill. Pity you if you think otherwise. Just compare the rate with workshop under the tree. You won't be getting the same ambience.


I had an opportunity went to Lexus showroom in Mutiara Damansara recently. Not to test drive or what, just a discussion on Lexus costing.
What can I say is WOW!! Even if you just been there for a peek or test drive, they will serve you Donkin Donut or Pizza Hut.
Masya-Allah....
Now you know why the price of Lexus cars are sky-high!! Somebody is paying someone's donut!!! hehehe..

Luckily, in this world I live in, I have an option.
I don't have to pay for what I don't want. I will choose for what I pay.
If the premium is fairly justified, why not?!!

Let the people who don't know where to spend their money throw their money unnecessarily..
Opss, for the sake of style or reputation perhaps... Unless the quality is proven & worth spend it, I won't..
Your money, your own..

"Ok Zairy, your car is ready"..
Aikk, dah siap?? Tak smpt aku nak ngomel lagi panjang..hehehe..
Ok, sambung gebang lain kali, insya-Allah...

No comments: