Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lance Armstrong & Me

Maybe not many of us who are familiar with a sportman by the name of Lance Armstrong. In brief, he was a world number one cyclist who won Tour de France more than 5 times, World Championships and many other tournaments.

Although I don't have any credentials in sport, one thing I share in common with him is our disease. Actually it was my oncologist who told me this story.

When I read more on his story, however, I can't be more grateful how lucky I am. His cancer already spread to lungs & abdomen, which means the cure rate is between 50%-85%. To quote what he said "..the best thing ever happened to me", Insya-Allah, I will fight for it, just like him.

You can read more on the disease & his inspiring story below:

1.Lance Armstrong and Testicular Cancer
2.Lance Armstrong Conquers Cancer

Here are some of the excerpt from the articles;

"Testicular exams should be a part of every young man's annual physical exam. Early detection increases the chances for cure. It is one of the many cancers that can actually be cured with very good long-term survival rates. Self-exams should be done each month from the age of 15 to 35 just as a woman would examine her breasts for breast cancer. A lump with or without pain should be brought to the attention of your physician for further work-up.

The Facts about Testicular Cancer:

1. Number one cancer killer among young men in their 20’s and 30’s.
2. More common cancer in white males than in blacks and Asians.
3. Men with history of undescended testicles (cryptorchidism) are at higher risk.
4. Early detection and treatment enacts a 90% cure."

No comments: